Sunday, January 12, 2014, I completed a major accomplishment – one I wasn’t sure if I’d actually be able to do. I ran (and finished) the Walt Disney World Marathon, which is 26.2 glorious miles long.
My marathon training was a bit unconventional, so I though I’d share some tips for those of you maybe even slightly thinking about signing up for one in the future.*
- Have your longest run be 15 miles about two months before the marathon. The last 11.2 miles will just come to you!
- The last month-and-a-half run somewhere between 2 miles and 4 miles twice a week.
- Add in two 10 mile runs at some point during that two month gap of not completing your long run.
- Tell yourself you can do it, and throughout the marathon, continually reinforce that thought in your mind.
- Just keep putting one foot in front of the other until you cross the finish line!
*I cannot guarantee my training method will work for you and probably would not recommend it to anyone. 😉