I don’t know about you, but after commuting home from work, the last thing I want to do is make dinner.
My solution? Grocery shop and meal prep for the week on Sunday!
I follow a pretty healthy diet with the occasional treat, so meal prepping really helps me make the best choices to fuel my body. It’s so much easier to reheat a few ingredients and toss together a satisfying meal than to cook a full meal each night!
Even though I only cook for one person, I still make the entire recipe. I aim to get at least four servings out of a meal, so it usually works out perfectly.
Quick Weeknight Taco Salad
Swap out the usual ground beef for turkey, and save a few calories but lose none of the taste. I love iceberg lettuce as much as the next person, but I like to use leafy greens to up the nutritional factor.
Instead of using sour cream, I use Greek yogurt. Have you tried that before? I highly recommend it! Greek yogurt has the perfect tang, and the creamy texture is delicious. Plus, it adds a little extra protein!
- Lean ground turkey (1 package)
- Taco seasoning (low sodium)
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Canned black beans (low sodium)
- Leafy greens
- Low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Brown ground turkey over medium-high heat, adding taco seasoning and water when the turkey is no longer pink. Stir well, and let simmer.
- Set oven to hi-broil. Place tortilla in oven to make your own “chips.”
- Fill up bowl with leafy greens, topping with ground turkey, black beans (heat them, if you want), tomatoes, salsa and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Remove the tortilla from the oven, break into pieces and place around the edge of your bowl to add a little crunch to the taco salad.
The best part about having a taco salad for dinner is the versatility! I can change a topping or two or make tacos or roll like a burrito and bake in the oven, topping with salsa and Greek yogurt. Yum! I can never get sick of a homemade healthy taco salad!
Questions of the Day:
- Do you meal prep?
- What is your favorite meal to eat on a weeknight?